Re: DOCS - pg_replication_slot . Fix the 'inactive_since' description

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com, smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DOCS - pg_replication_slot . Fix the 'inactive_since' description
Date: 2024-09-04 05:32:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Tue, 3 Sep 2024 10:43:14 +0530, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2024 at 9:14 AM shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 2, 2024 at 5:47 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > > ----
> > >
> > > To summarize, the current description wrongly describes the field as a
> > > time duration:
> > > "The time since the slot has become inactive."
> > >
> > > I suggest replacing it with:
> > > "The slot has been inactive since this time."
> > >

> > +1 for the change. If I had read the document without knowing about
> > the patch, I too would have interpreted it as a duration.
> >

> The suggested change looks good to me as well. I'll wait for a day or
> two before pushing to see if anyone thinks otherwise.

If possible, I'd prefer to use "the time" as the subject. For example,
would "The time this slot was inactivated" be acceptable? However,
this loses the sense of continuation up to that point, so if that's
crucial, the current proposal might be better.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center