Re: Add callbacks for fixed-numbered stats flush in pgstats

From: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add callbacks for fixed-numbered stats flush in pgstats
Date: 2024-09-04 05:28:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 04, 2024 at 02:05:46PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> At Tue, 3 Sep 2024 13:48:59 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The last TODO item I had in my bucket about the generalization of
> > pgstats is the option to a better control on the flush of the stats
> > depending on the kind for fixed-numbered stats. Currently, this is
> > controlled by pgstat_report_stat(), that includes special handling for
> > WAL, IO and SLRU stats, with two generic concepts:
> > - Check if there are pending entries, allowing a fast-path exit.
> > - Do the actual flush, with a recheck on pending entries.
> >
> > SLRU and IO control that with one variable each, and WAL uses a
> > routine for the same called pgstat_have_pending_wal(). Please find
> > attached a patch to generalize the concept, with two new callbacks
> > that can be used for fixed-numbered stats. SLRU, IO and WAL are
> > switched to use these (the two pgstat_flush_* routines have been kept
> > on purpose). This brings some clarity in the code, by making
> > have_iostats and have_slrustats static in their respective files. The
> > two pgstat_flush_* wrappers do not need a boolean as return result.
>
> The generalization sounds good to me, and hiding the private flags in
> private places also seems good.

+1 on the idea.

> Regarding pgstat_io_flush_cb, I think it no longer needs to check the
> have_iostats variable, and that check should be moved to the new
> pgstat_flush_io(). The same applies to pgstat_wal_flush_cb() (and
> pgstat_flush_wal()). As for pgstat_slru_flush_cb, it simply doesn't
> need the check anymore.

Agree. Another option could be to add only one callback (the flush_fixed_cb one)
and get rid of the have_fixed_pending_cb one. Then add an extra parameter to the
flush_fixed_cb that would only check if there is pending stats (without
flushing them). I think those 2 callbacks are highly related that's why I
think we could "merge" them, thoughts?

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot