Re: some pointless HeapTupleHeaderIndicatesMovedPartitions calls

From: Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: some pointless HeapTupleHeaderIndicatesMovedPartitions calls
Date: 2021-02-20 15:25:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Feb-20, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 10:49:26AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > So that's this patch: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/32/2941/.
> > Alvaro is most likely going to take care of that, so let's wait for
> > him.
>
> Hearing nothing, I have looked at this stuff and the simplification
> makes sense. Any comments?

No further comments ... I think the patch is simple enough. Thanks for
looking -- I'll get it pushed on Monday or so.

> I can see that ItemPointerSetMovedPartitions() in itemptr.h is not
> used in the code. Could it be better to change the comment in
> htup_details.h to mention HeapTupleHeaderSetMovedPartitions instead?
> Perhaps not worth bothering, just noticed this on the way.

Hmm. Alternatively, maybe it'd make sense to change
HeapTupleHeaderSetMovedPartition to use ItemPointerSetMovedPartitions
instead of doing ItemPointerSet directly. But that looks mostly
pointless, since the extensibility aspect of this interface has been
superseded by table AM work. I agree we should just remove the macro
and update the comment as you suggest.

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile