Re: libpq debug log

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com, iwata(dot)aya(at)fujitsu(dot)com, k(dot)jamison(at)fujitsu(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq debug log
Date: 2021-02-03 13:58:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Feb-03, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:

> Looking the doc mentioned in the comment #39:
>
> + <literal>flags</literal> contains flag bits describing the operating mode
> + true, then timestamp is not printed with each message.
>
> PQTRACE_OUTPUT_TIMESTAMPS is designed to *inhibit* timestamps from
> being prepended. If that is actually intended, the symbol name should
> be PQTRACE_NOOUTPUT_TIMESTAMP. Otherwise, the doc need to be fixed.

I'm pretty sure I named the flag PQTRACE_SUPPRESS_TIMESTAMP (and I
prefer SUPPRESS to NOOUTPUT), because the idea is that the timestamp is
printed by default. I think that's the sensible decision: applications
prefer to have timestamps, even if there's a tiny bit of overhead. We
don't want to force them to pass a flag for that. We only want the
no-timestamp behavior in order to be able to use it for libpq internal
testing.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"Someone said that it is at least an order of magnitude more work to do