Re: libpq debug log

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com
Cc: iwata(dot)aya(at)fujitsu(dot)com, k(dot)jamison(at)fujitsu(dot)com, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq debug log
Date: 2021-02-03 02:18:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Wed, 3 Feb 2021 01:26:41 +0000, "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote in
> (41)
> +void
> +PQtraceEx(PGconn *conn, FILE *debug_port, int flags)
> +{
> + if (conn == NULL)
> + return;
> + if (!debug_port)
> + return;
>
> The if should better be as follows to match the style of existing surrounding code.
>
> + if (debug_port == NULL)

I don't have particular preference here, but FWIW the current
PQuntrace is doing this:

> void
> PQuntrace(PGconn *conn)
> {
> if (conn == NULL)
> return;
> if (conn->Pfdebug)
> {
> fflush(conn->Pfdebug);

> (44)
> + if ((conn->traceFlags & PQTRACE_OUTPUT_TIMESTAMPS) == 0)
> + timestr_p = pqLogFormatTimestamp(timestr, sizeof(timestr));
>
> == 0 should be removed.

Looking the doc mentioned in the comment #39:

+ <literal>flags</literal> contains flag bits describing the operating mode
+ true, then timestamp is not printed with each message.

PQTRACE_OUTPUT_TIMESTAMPS is designed to *inhibit* timestamps from
being prepended. If that is actually intended, the symbol name should
be PQTRACE_NOOUTPUT_TIMESTAMP. Otherwise, the doc need to be fixed.

By the way removing "== 0" makes it difficult to tell whether the
condition is correct or not; I recommend to use '!= 0" rather than
removing '== 0'.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi