Re: SPI-header-files safe for C++-compiler

From: "Jacob Rief" <jacob(dot)rief(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SPI-header-files safe for C++-compiler
Date: 2007-07-03 10:02:35
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane writes:
> That will have exactly zero effect. As was shown upthread, even
> everyday C++ programmers don't remember what all the extra keywords are.
> Guys who mainly code C are very unlikely to get this right if there's no
> automatic check being applied.

Just for curiosity, I would like to ask something.
libpqxx is based on libpq, and thus includes headers-files from libpq.
These header-files are C++-safe, otherwise libpqxx would'nt compile.
Whats the point in having a two-class-society of headers files, some
of which are compatible for C++-compilers (the client-side), and some
which aren't (the server-side).

My problem is, that I have to wrap a few C++-classes as internal
Postgres-types in my code, and thus must include C++-header-files as
well as server-side Postgres-header-files. Therefore I must use a
C++-compiler, and the only problems so far, is the use of C++-keywords
on the server-side-Postgres-headers.

Regards, Jacob