Re: Patch for handling "autocommit=false" in postgresql.conf

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: snpe <snpe(at)snpe(dot)co(dot)yu>, pgsql-jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch for handling "autocommit=false" in postgresql.conf
Date: 2002-09-18 05:01:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Tom Lane wrote:
> snpe <snpe(at)snpe(dot)co(dot)yu> writes:
> > + // handle autocommit=false in postgresql.conf
> > + if (haveMinimumServerVersion("7.3")) {
> > + ExecSQL("set autocommit to on; commit;");
> > + }
>
> The above will fill people's logs with
> WARNING: COMMIT: no transaction in progress
> if they don't have autocommit off.
>
> Use
> begin; set autocommit to on; commit;
> instead.
>
> I would recommend holding off on this patch altogether, actually,
> until we decide whether SET will be a transaction-initiating
> command or not. I would still like to persuade the hackers community
> that it should not be.

Sorry to be blocking that change but I can see no reason to special case
SET to not start a new transaction, especially since we added SET to be
rollbackable in 7.3. If we hadn't done that, you easily could make a
case for it because the SET would behave without transaction semantics.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us