Re: Transaction Id wraparounds

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction Id wraparounds
Date: 2002-09-05 16:03:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 11:27:38AM -0400, Amin Abdulghani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What fast, efficient options are available for preventing
> transaction Id wraparounds for a growing database (mainly
> inserts). From the administrator's guide I understand a
> system wide VACUUM or VACUUM FREEZE would perform the job
> but for a large database (>10GB and growing) this takes a
> long time to run.

As I understand it, _only_ vacuum or dump and initdb will solve this
problem.

But who cares if vacuum takes a long time? The transaction
wraparound stuff is only available in 7.2 and later, so oyu can use
the non-blocking vacuum in 7.2, and let it run for a week if it takes
that long.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada