Re: Transaction Id wraparounds

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amin Abdulghani <amin(at)quantiva(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction Id wraparounds
Date: 2002-09-05 16:08:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Amin Abdulghani <amin(at)quantiva(dot)com> writes:
> From the administrator's guide I understand a
> system wide VACUUM or VACUUM FREEZE would perform the job
> but for a large database (>10GB and growing) this takes a
> long time to run.

So? You don't have to do it often, and it doesn't lock your
tables against normal operations ... so I don't really see the
objection. I would not bother with FREEZE unless you are trying
to make a template database.

> what should be the criteria to check when this issue needs
> to be addressed.

When age(datfrozenxid) approaches 2 billion, it's time. I believe
vacuum will start warning you well before that.