Re: Open 7.1 items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.1 items
Date: 2001-02-14 17:46:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > New PL/pgSQL GET DIAGNOSTICS statement for SPI value access (Jan)
>
> If someone can show me an example of how it operates I can write up
> something.

I found:

> Quoting a recent message by Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>:
> :Do a
> :
> : GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT PROCESSED INTO <int4_variable>;
> :
> :directly after an INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE statement and you'll know
> :how many rows have been hit.
> :
> :Also you can get the OID of an inserted row with
> :
> : GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT RESULT INTO <int4_variable>;

Looking at plpgsql/src/gram.y, it only supports PROCESSED (rows
returned/affected) and RESULT (OID). The grammar indicates that only
SELECT is allowed in GET DIAGNOSTICS SELECT. Jan says it works for
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE too, but I guess you still use GET DIAGNOSTICS
SELECT.

> > Improve PL/PgSQL documentation (?)
>
> I agree with the "(?)"... Certainly a bit late to start an "improvement"
> project.

I heard someone was working on that and was not sure how far they were.
As I remember, docs can pretty much be done anytime before doc freeze.
Probably will not happen in 7.1. Item removed.

> > Store tables as files named by OID (Vadim)
>
> This has never been documented to the contrary AFAIK. There's an empty
> "Storage" chapter, which would be a good place to put this --- eventually.

OK, Removed.

> > New /contrib/rserv replication toolkit (Vadim)
> > New /contrib/oid2name to map numeric files to table names
>
> These both have their appropriate READMEs.

Yes, I kept rserv in there in case we wanted to more prominently mention
it in the HISTORY file and give an overview. Guess not. Seems like a
pretty cool thing to keep hidden in /contrib. The /rserv README doesn't
adequately describe its usefulness. All removed.

> > New pg_class.relkind value for views (Mark Hollomon)
>
> Documented.

Removed.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us