Re: Upgrade Ubuntu 22 -> 24 may break PostgreSQL

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade Ubuntu 22 -> 24 may break PostgreSQL
Date: 2024-09-01 16:08:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/31/24 19:32, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 2024-09-01 02:54, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
>> 'Tis the season again.

>> As usual, a newer Ubuntu version comes with a newer Postgres version (16
>> instead of 14). Also as usual, I got a message during the upgrade that
>> Postgres 14 is obsolete,. but the binaries have been left installed and
>> I should upgrade to Postgres 16 manually ASAP.
>
> It'd *technically* be possible to automatically run an upgrade of the
> PostgreSQL repository (via scripting?) at launch time, though just blindly
> doing it for everyone would be a *major* change of behaviour.

The OP was using the Ubuntu repo and for a given major version of Ubuntu
that is pinned to a given major version of Postgres. I am not seeing
changing that would go over well. Now if a user is using the PGDG repo's
that is a different story, then you point at the repo's for the new
Ubuntu version do an update/upgrade and you are back on track.

> Thoughts?

This is something the end user needs to work out ahead of time as there
is an overhead in the process they need to take into consideration.
Cranking up a new version of Ubuntu/Debian and have it take off doing
things behind the scenes to the Postgres instance(s) would disturb me.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com