Re: Upgrade Ubuntu 22 -> 24 may break PostgreSQL

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade Ubuntu 22 -> 24 may break PostgreSQL
Date: 2024-09-01 02:32:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2024-09-01 02:54, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> 'Tis the season again.
>
> Ubuntu 24.04.1 has just been released, so many Ubuntu LTS users will
> now
> be prompted to upgrade from 22.04 to 24.04.
>
> A word of warning to those who use Postgresql from the Ubuntu repo (not
> PGDG):
>
> As usual, a newer Ubuntu version comes with a newer Postgres version
> (16
> instead of 14). Also as usual, I got a message during the upgrade that
> Postgres 14 is obsolete,. but the binaries have been left installed and
> I should upgrade to Postgres 16 manually ASAP.

It'd *technically* be possible to automatically run an upgrade of the
PostgreSQL repository (via scripting?) at launch time, though just
blindly
doing it for everyone would be a *major* change of behaviour.

Some people would likely love it, while others would be horrified (etc).

That being said, if we announce it ahead of time as a feature of a major
release (ie PG 18 or something), and if we have a clear way to not
automatically upgrade (a variable in postgresql.conf?), then we might be
able to solve this problem ~permanently.

We'd also need to figure out how to handle (say) rebuilding of indexes
that need updating between major versions and stuff like that.

Thoughts?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift