Re: pgsql: Fix for globals.c- c.h must come first

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Fix for globals.c- c.h must come first
Date: 2018-06-19 18:09:15
Lists: pgsql-committers

> On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 01:20:47AM +0000, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> Commit da9b580 mistakenly put a system header before postgres.h (which
>> includes c.h). That can cause portability issues and broke (at least)
>> builds with older Windows compilers.

> I assume there is no way to add defined and checks to globals.c and c.h
> to cause a compile error when this happens.

Hm. You could imagine adding something like

#ifdef some-relevant-macro
#error include ordering problem, c.h must come before system headers
#endif

near the head of c.h. But I'm not sure how we'd get full coverage.
The case presumably would only occur for off-the-beaten-path headers
(this particular mistake was <sys/stat.h>), and there are lots of those.