Ambiguous description on new columns

From: PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: kdg(dot)dev(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Ambiguous description on new columns
Date: 2024-05-20 15:26:27
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/logical-replication-col-lists.html

The documentation on this page mentions:

"If no column list is specified, any columns added later are automatically
replicated."

It feels ambiguous what this could mean. Does it mean:

1/ That if you alter the table on the publisher and add a new column, it
will be replicated

2/ If you add a column list later and add a column to it, it will be
replicated

In both cases, does the subscriber automatically create this column if it
wasn't there before? I recall reading that the initial data synchronization
requires the schema of the publisher database to be created on the
subscriber first. But then later updates sync newly created columns? I don't
recall any pages on logical replication mentioning this, up to this point.

Regards,
Koen De Groote