Re: UnUsed Tuple Space Huge

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Michael G(dot) Martin" <michael(at)vpmonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UnUsed Tuple Space Huge
Date: 2002-06-12 23:30:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Michael G. Martin" <michael(at)vpmonline(dot)com> writes:
> That's what I was beginning to think from reading. I just wasn't sure
> of the correlation between MAX_FSM_PAGES and the actual pages occupied
> by the table after a full vacuum. 1:1 ?? Any general rules?

1:1 would be worst case, probably. The real question is how many pages
get dirtied between vacuums --- so you can trade off more frequent
vacuums for a smaller free space map.

We don't have a lot of experience yet with tuning that parameter (if
we did, there'd be advice in the manual). Please report anything
you learn from experimentation.