Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in
Date: 2002-08-20 16:15:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> Umm, but what about the reply buffer overrun advisory? I've read this whole
> thread, and the reply advisory (AFAICT, unless I've just hit delete too
> quickly) has NOT been addressed.

Yes it has. CVS logs show

* src/backend/utils/adt/: date.c, datetime.c, format_type.c,
nabstime.c, timestamp.c, varlena.c: Add guard code to protect from
buffer overruns on long date/time input strings. [other
comments pruned, but note this commit did a lot of other stuff too]

The original argument was about whether we should push out a 7.2.2
release just because of this fix. AFAIK no one has even troubled to
look at the patch and see whether it applies directly to the 7.2 branch;
Thomas has revised the date/time code quite a bit since 7.2, so I'd
expect that it's not going to apply exactly.

I'd put more stock in the concern level of the people making complaints
if anyone had bothered to do even that much legwork. Without an offered
patch against 7.2 branch, I don't think the folks who push out releases
(which is not me, but Marc, Bruce, you, Trond, etc) should bother to
take notice of the complaints at all.