Re: [SECURITY] DoS attack on backend possible

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Florian Weimer" <Weimer(at)CERT(dot)Uni-Stuttgart(dot)DE>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] DoS attack on backend possible
Date: 2002-08-20 16:14:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > with Perl and *using placeholders and bind values*, the application
> > developer has not to worry about this. So, usually I don't check the
> > values in my applications (e.g. if only values between 1 and 5 are
> > allowed and under normal circumstances only these are possible), it's the
> > task of the database (check constraint).
>
> That's the idea. It's the job of the database to guarantee data
> integrety.

Yes, but what is currently missing is a protocol to the backend
where a statement is prepared with placeholders and then executed
(multiple times) with given values. Then there is no doubt what is a
value, and what a part of the SQL.

I think that this would be a wanted feature of the next
protocol version. iirc the backend side part is currently beeing
implemented.

Andreas