Re: Cirrus CI for macOS branches 16 and 15 broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cirrus CI for macOS branches 16 and 15 broken
Date: 2024-08-18 22:55:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I still don't know what's happening. In case it helps someone else
> see it, the error comes from "sudo port unsetrequested installed".
> But in any case, switching to 2.10.1 seems to do the trick. See
> attached.

Interesting. Now that I've finished "sudo port upgrade outdated",
my laptop is back to a state where unprivileged "port outdated"
is successful.

What this smells like is that MacPorts has to do some kind of database
update as a result of its major version change, and there are code
paths that are not expecting that to get invoked. It makes sense
that unprivileged "port outdated" would fail to perform the database
update, but not quite as much for "sudo port unsetrequested installed"
to fail. That case seems like a MacPorts bug; maybe worth filing?