Re: Cirrus CI for macOS branches 16 and 15 broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cirrus CI for macOS branches 16 and 15 broken
Date: 2024-08-19 00:51:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Interesting. Now that I've finished "sudo port upgrade outdated",
> my laptop is back to a state where unprivileged "port outdated"
> is successful.

I confirmed on another machine that, immediately after "sudo port
selfupdate" from 2.9.3 to 2.10.1, I get

$ port outdated
sqlite error: attempt to write a readonly database (8) while executing query: CREATE INDEX registry.snapshot_file_id ON snapshot_files(id)

but if I do "sudo port outdated", I get the right thing:

$ sudo port outdated
The following installed ports are outdated:
bash 5.2.26_0 < 5.2.32_0
bind9 9.18.27_0 < 9.20.0_3
... etc etc ...

and then once I've done that, unprivileged "port outdated" works
again:

$ port outdated
The following installed ports are outdated:
bash 5.2.26_0 < 5.2.32_0
bind9 9.18.27_0 < 9.20.0_3
... yadda yadda ...

So there's definitely some behind-the-back updating going on there.
I'm not sure why the CI script should trigger that though. It
does do a couple of "port" calls without "sudo", but not in places
where the state should be only partially upgraded.