Re: Cirrus CI for macOS branches 16 and 15 broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cirrus CI for macOS branches 16 and 15 broken
Date: 2024-08-18 22:43:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Oh, it already is a cache miss and thus a fresh installation, in
> Tomas's example. I can reproduce that in my own Github account by
> making a trivial change to ci_macports_packages.sh to I get a cache
> miss too. It appears to install macports just fine, and then a later
> command fails in MacPort's sqlite package registry database, "attempt
> to write a readonly database". At a wild guess, what has changed here
> to trigger this new condition is that MacPorts has noticed a new
> stable release of itself available and taken some new code path
> related to upgrading. No idea why it thinks its package database is
> read-only, though... looking...

Indeed, MacPorts seems to have recently put out a 2.10.1 release.
This is not specific to the CI installation though. What I saw on
my laptop, following my usual process for a MacPorts update, was:

$ sudo port -v selfupdate
... reported installing 2.10.1 ...
$ port outdated # to see what will be upgraded
... failed with "write a readonly database" error!
$ sudo port upgrade outdated
... it's busily rebuilding a pile o' stuff ...

I didn't think to try it, but I bet "sudo port outdated" would
have worked. I'm also betting that something in the CI update
recipe is taking the same shortcut of omitting "sudo". That
works in the normal case, but seemingly not after a MacPorts base
update.