Re: massive quotes?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: massive quotes?
Date: 2003-09-02 02:25:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:
> But we're not talking about psql only (and \beginlit and \endlit are
> quite ugly sql keywords), and this should be a backend thing only

I disagree with both of those assertions. psql is the issue because
other clients used for administrative work (pgAdmin etc) already have
their own solutions to function body editing. A COPY-based design isn't
going to make life better for them. Since psql is the issue, a backend
hack isn't the answer.

I'll agree that I've not seen a really pleasing idea for the psql
backslash command names, but I'm open to suggestions... and surely
an invented SQL keyword is not any prettier than an invented psql
backslash command.

> (I hope you won't suggest that pgAdmin3 should be a frontend for psql :-)

No, I didn't suggest that.