Re: massive quotes?

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: massive quotes?
Date: 2003-09-02 00:10:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Considering that someone earlier in this thread was specifically asking
>to put LANGUAGE before the function body (apparently unaware that he
>already could), I doubt we can get away with removing that flexibility.

I didn't consider *removing* flexibility, but *adding* flexibility by
allowing the function body after AS (which already is required to be
right in front of the func def) not to be embraced by quotes.

>>Initially, I didn't want to suggest an additional
>>keyword like ENDFUNC or ENDAS, but now I do.
>>

>Once you say that, there's not a lot of distance to letting psql do it
>with \beginlit ... \endlit (or some other yet-to-be-chosen names).

But we're not talking about psql only (and \beginlit and \endlit are
quite ugly sql keywords), and this should be a backend thing only (I
hope you won't suggest that pgAdmin3 should be a frontend for psql :-)
I don't think that if both current and yet-to-be-decided syntax is
allowed, a keyword embraced function definition would do any harm. In
the (unlikely) case somebody uses that keyword inside the function, the
parser will probably notice this instead of silently create a broken
function.

Regards,
Andreas