Re: Performance issue with Pointcloud extension

From: Eric Lemoine <eric(dot)lemoine(at)oslandia(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance issue with Pointcloud extension
Date: 2017-06-13 05:21:47
Lists: pgsql-general

> Another idea, if you haven't tried it already, is to run these test cases
> in a server built with --enable-debug and --enable-cassert. The memory
> clobber stuff that's enabled by the latter is very good at turning coding
> errors into reproducible, debuggable crashes ;-)
>
> regards, tom lane

We found the cause of the issue! Both the PostGIS and the Pointcloud
extensions define the hexbytes_from_bytes function, and the PostGIS
version is faster. The fix involves prefixing the function name in
Pointcloud, and using a similar implementation as PostGIS [*].

Thanks a lot for helping me fix that issue.

[*] <https://github.com/pgpointcloud/pointcloud/pull/185>

--
Éric Lemoine
Oslandia