Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.

From: "John Foelster" <johnfoelster(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.
Date: 2013-08-12 04:27:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

Apologies that this got sent to Dinesh rather than the mailing list. L

Hi Dinesh,

Sorry, I reread my original request for help and it was extremely unclear as
I wrote it.

Basically, I was using the PGAdmin interface to set passwords, and the
interface reported that I had set them successfully, but when I attempted to
login using those passwords, I was not allowed to do so.

The psqlODBC migration went more or less as planned once I stopped using the
created logins and used a connection to the default user postgres.

After this had been completed, I started experimenting with the created
logins to see what had gone wrong, and this experimentation included
resetting the password on the default postgres user using the same
interface. I then logged out and logged back in with that new password and
was locked out with zero working logins.

So the problem is that pgAdmin is changing my passwords, it's just setting
them to something other than what I tell it to. I suspect this is a
misunderstanding on my part of how the process is supposed to work based on
my Microsoft product background specifically related to the MD5 encryption
system. I used the ALTER ROLE SQL command to do the same thing and it
appears to have had the same behavior. The data is certainly secure, at any
rate, no one can login. J

I swapped the authentication method to "trust" so I could at least get some
work done locally while my collaborators are waiting for the security to
work. Of course I also seem not to have set up the public service properly.

I did mention that I was an Analyst and a bit out of my depth in the DBA
role, right? J