Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.

From: Dinesh Kumar <dinesh(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: John Foelster <johnfoelster(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.
Date: 2013-08-12 05:22:21
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi John,

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM, John Foelster <johnfoelster(at)comcast(dot)net>wrote:

> Apologies that this got sent to Dinesh rather than the mailing list. L***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> Hi Dinesh, ****
>
> ** **
>
> Sorry, I reread my original request for help and it was extremely unclear
> as I wrote it.****
>
> ** **
>
> Basically, I was using the PGAdmin interface to set passwords, and the
> interface reported that I had set them successfully, but when I attempted
> to login using those passwords, I was not allowed to do so.

OK. I have done a quick test in my local windows 7.

1. I have logged into PG 9.2 as a super user("postgres").
2. Created new login role by performing right click on "Login Role" - >
"Create New Login".
3. Entered the new login name and password.
4. Disconnected from pgAdmin and re-logged in the pgAdmin using above
created logins, and i am able to connect.

Kindly let me know, if this approach what i have followed is improper.

> **
>
> The psqlODBC migration went more or less as planned once I stopped using
> the created logins and used a connection to the default user postgres.****
>
> ** **
>
> After this had been completed, I started experimenting with the created
> logins to see what had gone wrong, and this experimentation included
> resetting the password on the default postgres user using the same
> interface. I then logged out and logged back in with that new password and
> was locked out with zero working logins.

So the problem is that pgAdmin is changing my passwords, it’s just setting
> them to something other than what I tell it to. I suspect this is a
> misunderstanding on my part of how the process is supposed to work based on
> my Microsoft product background specifically related to the MD5 encryption
> system. I used the ALTER ROLE SQL command to do the same thing and it
> appears to have had the same behavior. The data is certainly secure, at
> any rate, no one can login. J

Would you mind to confirm this by following below steps.

Modify the pg_hba.conf to MD5 authentication.

1) Go to PG 9.2 installed location (Ex: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\bin)

2) Log into the PG using "psql" client. (Ex: psql.exe -U <username> -p
<port> -d <dbname>)

3) Create a new test role using "CREATE ROLE <role name> WITH LOGIN
PASSWORD '<plain password>'".

4) Logout from that "psql" client by entering "\q and then enter" in the
command pr
ompt.

5) Try to login with this new create role using psql.exe client. (Ex:

> **
>
> I swapped the authentication method to “trust” so I could at least get
> some work done locally while my collaborators are waiting for the security
> to work. Of course I also seem not to have set up the public service
> properly…****
>
> ** **
>
> I did mention that I was an Analyst and a bit out of my depth in the DBA
> role, right? J

:) Sorry, it was my bad interpretation.

Dinesh

--
*Dinesh Kumar*
Software Engineer

Ph: +918087463317
Skype ID: dinesh.kumar432
www.enterprisedb.co
<http://www.enterprisedb.com/>m<http://www.enterprisedb.com/>
*
Follow us on Twitter*
@EnterpriseDB

Visit EnterpriseDB for tutorials, webinars,
whitepapers<http://www.enterprisedb.com/resources-community> and
more <http://www.enterprisedb.com/resources-community>