Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.

From: Dinesh Kumar <dinesh(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: John Foelster <johnfoelster(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.
Date: 2013-08-12 03:47:29
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi John,

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM, John Foelster <johnfoelster(at)comcast(dot)net>wrote:

> I’m migrating some moderately sized DBs from Access to Postgres because I
> can’t deal with Access’ performance issues and ANSI SQL noncompliance.****
>
> ** **
>
> I hit a snag at a rather unexpected place. Before we get started I should
> state that I’m using PGAdmin 1.16.1 on a Windows 8 64 bit machine. I’m
> aware that this last bit shows appalling judgment. The server is on the
> same machine and is running PostGres 9.2, whichever flavor was stable circa
> 1/31/13 according to the installation date.****
>
> ** **
>
> Now I need to make this into a secured web server using my own machine as
> the server. This entailed making some nice little logins for the purpose
> of providing that access. I used the PGAdmin UI and set the passwords for
> the new logins via the role creation UI. I was fairly sure that I had set
> them to a nice high quality password, let’s pretend it was
> “CorrectHorseBatteryStaple”. I tried using the logins via psqlODBC to
> shepherd the data from Access via SQLExpress and got a password failure.
> Needing to keep things moving, I switched to the postgres default login for
> the data transfer. Thinking that I must have just got the password wrong I
> tried correcting it through the UI. So then I tried setting the master
> password through the UI. Ooops. I was able to regain access by setting
> the pg_hba.conf to trust all connections, but even when I used the ALTER
> ROLE SQL statement, I still could not reset the password.****

It seem, you are importing/exporting the data from SQL Server's SQLExpress
dump module. Could you double check that you are using the new created
logins for the psqlODBC connection. In windows, i believe we have "Test
Connection" option while creating the ODBC connection. Is your "Test
Connection" got successful.

> I think I must be missing something fundamental, and I suspect it has to
> do with MD5 encryption, but I’m at a loss as to what.****
>
> ** **
>
> Any idea how to set up security properly for someone who openly admits to
> being more analyst than DBA?

You can try with other password authentication methods like , "password",
"sspi", e.t.c. Please try this
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/auth-methods.html>link for
more authentications.

Dinesh

--
*Dinesh Kumar*
Software Engineer

Ph: +918087463317
Skype ID: dinesh.kumar432
www.enterprisedb.co
<http://www.enterprisedb.com/>m<http://www.enterprisedb.com/>
*
Follow us on Twitter*
@EnterpriseDB

Visit EnterpriseDB for tutorials, webinars,
whitepapers<http://www.enterprisedb.com/resources-community> and
more <http://www.enterprisedb.com/resources-community>