Filesystem Backup

From: "manav" <manav(at)glue(dot)umd(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Filesystem Backup
Date: 2002-02-03 13:54:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello All,

I am in a fix and need help. I am reinstalling postgresql server on my
linux workstation and\ I did a filesystem backup of ../pgsql/data/*, but
when I deleted the data directory and reconstructed it from my backup
(without the reinstall, just to check if things would work) I started
seeing errors (I mv' the data directory twice...)

The first error was "postmaster.opt.default not found in
../pgsql/data/postmaster.opt.default' and when I created an empty file
it said '../pgsql/data/base/template1/pg_class not found'.

Am I missing something? are there any other steps to a filesystem
backup?

-sonny