Re: Filesystem Backup

From: David Stanaway <david(at)netventures(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "manav" <manav(at)glue(dot)umd(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Filesystem Backup
Date: 2002-02-03 22:49:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Monday, February 4, 2002, at 12:54 AM, manav wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> I am in a fix and need help. I am reinstalling postgresql server on my
> linux workstation and\ I did a filesystem backup of ../pgsql/data/*,
> but when I deleted the data directory and reconstructed it from my
> backup (without the reinstall, just to check if things would work) I
> started seeing errors (I mv' the data directory twice...)
>
> The first error was "postmaster.opt.default not found in
> ../pgsql/data/postmaster.opt.default' and when I created an empty file
> it said '../pgsql/data/base/template1/pg_class not found'.

What version of PostgreSQL do you have installed? Is it the same version
as the data directory that you backed up?

I had the problem once when I was experimenting with a different
filesystem that I messed up the ownership/perms of the data directory.
Is it owned by the user that postmaster runs as? (pgsql or postgres
depending on distribution)

David Stanaway
Personal: david(at)stanaway(dot)net
Work: david(at)netventures(dot)com(dot)au