What is the difference between --enable-multibyte and --enable-unicode-conversion?

From: "Jeff Lu" <jklcom(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: What is the difference between --enable-multibyte and --enable-unicode-conversion?
Date: 2002-03-23 01:39:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

My database is configured with --enable-multibyte. I thought this is
what I needed to be able to store Chinese Characters. Is this a correct
assumption? Anyhow, when I tried to write to the database with Chinese
content, the content becomes jibberish. Do I need to enable unicode
conversion? If that's the case, can I just run configure with
--enable-unicode-conversion on my current database without any side
effect on my data?

Thanks
-Jeff