Re: SQL Server performing much better?!?!

From: Mark kirkwood <markir(at)slingshot(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Christian Cabanero <chumpboy(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL Server performing much better?!?!
Date: 2002-03-23 06:24:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Christian,

>sold on unix and more importantly open-source, but this performance
>problem
>sure isn't helping my little "campaign." ;-)

No doubt !

um.. looks like Solaris is the issue here - If you can persuade your
server management company to play ball, how about :

1/ Change Platform

Use an Intel box with Linux or Freebsd, you can be assured of _vastly_
better performance with Postgresql in either case. (or...)

2/ Change OS

Run Linux on the Sparc.

Even if your management company will not help you out, the option 1/ is
pretty inexpensive... and you get a _more_ fully open solution (OS as
well)

best of luck

Mark