Re: REFERENCES constraint

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Cedar Cox <cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: REFERENCES constraint
Date: 2001-08-08 16:29:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

Cedar,

> 1. Can a column reference more than one table? (This assumes you use
> single sequence to generate the IDs for both "tbla" and "tblb". I
> guess
> you would also have the problem of enforcing a unique index. Say
> what?!
> A unique index across multiple tables.. absurd :) eg..
>
> CREATE TABLE blah (
> id int4,
> f_id int4 REFERENCES tbla (id) REFERENCES tblb (id)
> )

I'd reccomend, instead, having blah reference tbla and tbla reference
tblb. It'd have the same effect, without forcing you to monkey around
with custom triggers.

> 2. Can a column reference another column in the same table? eg..
>
> CREATE TABLE bloo (
> id int4,
> p_id int4 REFERENCES bloo (id)
> -- or
> --p_id int4 REFERENCES (id)
> )

Er ... why would you want to?

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533