Re: Functions returning more than one value

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Chris Ruprecht" <chrup999(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Functions returning more than one value
Date: 2001-08-08 16:26:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Chris,

> The called function (test2() in the example) will MODIFY the two
> arguments
> and then return a true value. After test2() has run, the value of the
> two
> arguments 'has changed' to what test2() has assigned to them.

I understand, now. You're trying to replicate the functionality
provided in programming languages using By Reference arguments.

I could suggest a number of workarounds. However, I think rather that
you should give serious consideration to *not* doing this in PL/pgSQL
but doing it in a full-featured procedural (and/or Object Oriented)
language instead. Java, Python, Perl and even 4GL would provide you
with more robust functionality.

For example, what you want is easily done in Java just by passing the
input parameters as By Reference.

Opinions on Middleware languages, anyone?

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533