Re: Restriction by grouping problem.

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Jeff Barrett" <jbarrett(at)familynetwork(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restriction by grouping problem.
Date: 2001-07-26 21:50:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jeff,

> The query I have now:

> SELECT min(datettime), sid FROM logs GROUP by sid;

> This returns the first instance of an sid in the logs table, there

> can be

> many rows in the table for each sid. The problem I have is that I do

> not

> need the SID I just need to group the min(datetime) by it.

The answer to this question is simple:

SELECT min(datetime) as mintime FROM logs GROUP BY sid;

However, I get the impression that your intended problem was more
complicated. Can you re-explain it?

-Josh

Josh Berkus

Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com

and data management solutions (415) 565-7293

for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533