Re: Restriction by grouping problem.

From: "Jeff Barrett" <jbarrett(at)familynetwork(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restriction by grouping problem.
Date: 2001-07-26 22:03:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

Yeah I have been having a bit of a problem expressing myself in terms of
this query, sorry about that.

What I need is:

SELECT getfile FROM logs (and a restriction that results in finding the rows
with the lowest datetime for each unique sid)

To define this table a bit more:

Logs table has a primary key of logid (int4) and serveral columns, of which
I am deling with sid (text), getfile (text), and datetime (int4). Now a
select getfile, datetime, logid from logs where sid = onevalue; would return
a set of rows for that sid, the row I want is for the one with the smallest
aka min(datetime) and I want this for every row in the table.

Thanks for the quick response Josh, hopefully above will help out some.

--Jeff