Re: maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb6(at)sdf(dot)lonestar(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits?
Date: 2001-06-08 22:03:15
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Jon,

> How exactly? The column types would just be INT8, right?

Ah. I see what you mean. In my application, the columns are all
*named* the same ... clients.usq, orders.usq, etc. Thus a search on
"usq" through out the application will locate everything.

If you needed and INT8 variable, you could define a custom type on INT8
... and then search on that type.

> Aha! The only thing I don't get is what do you mean by "execution
> state"?
> (I'm guessing that you're not referring to Texas).

<Snicker>
A variable indicating success or failure. e.g. In MSSQL, you get a
ReturnValue of INT2 type ... with 0 indicating success, and <> 0 as an
error number.

Speaking of which, one thing I forgot to explicitly mention above is
error trapping of some kind would be extremely useful ...

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533