Index usage

From: Subra Radhakrishnan <subra100(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Index usage
Date: 2001-06-09 03:27:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi All,

The index created by me is not being used while doing
select. I found that out by using the EXPLAIN. For
example:

Table department has
----------------
dept_num
dept_desc

Table 'employee' looks like this:
--------------------------------
emp_num primary key,
emp_name,
dept_num (this is by way of foreign key relation from
department table)

Now, I create an index on the employee table using
'dept_num' as the attribute. And when I run select
which looks like:

Explain Select * from employee where dept_num =
'Finance';

It does not use the index and tells me that a
Sequential scan will be done on the table employee.

How do I fix this?

Thanx in advance,

Subra