Re: Out of free buffers... HELP!

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Diehl, Jeffrey" <jdiehl(at)sandia(dot)gov>, "'Josh Berkus'" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, darcy(at)druid(dot)net
Cc: "Diehl, Jeffrey" <jdiehl(at)sandia(dot)gov>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Out of free buffers... HELP!
Date: 2001-09-20 19:50:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

Diehl,

> Um no, I just need a smaller problem to solve. The database worked
> quite
> well when the problem was half this size.
<snip>
> could do with 60 day's...!" And they are right, if it can be done...
> If it
> can't, I'll tell them and they will understand.

What I'm saying is, based on your description, you need a lot of hand-on
performance tuning help. Someone who knows the pgsql performance
parameters and can experiment with tweaking and tuning to avoid swamping
the memory of the machine(s) you're running on. Because that's what it
sounds like the problem is.

However, that sort of help will take some paid consultant time and
possibly hardware. I think that if you can run a query on 150gb of
data, you can probably run it on 355gb ... you just need some help
performance tuning. But I don't think general advice on a list is gonna
do it, y'know?

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533