[Pljava-dev] optimizing java

From: thhal at mailblocks(dot)com (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] optimizing java
Date: 2005-05-26 07:37:02
Lists: pljava-dev

Marek Lewczuk wrote:

> Is there any way to improve java VM startup overhead ? Now I use JDK
> 1.5 and first execution of the pljava takes about 2-3 seconds. I have
> heard that other (not from SUN) VM are much faster, is it true ?

I'm sure there is. But a general rule of thumb is that the faster the
startup, the slower the VM. The time the VM consumes at startup is often
well spent.

The absolute best approach is to minimize the number of startups (and
the number of VM's). Make heavy use of a connection pool.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren