Re: PostgreSQL and Rational Purify

From: jdassen(at)cistron(dot)nl (J(dot)H(dot)M(dot) Dassen (Ray))
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Rational Purify
Date: 2001-04-04 08:51:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Renaud Tthonnart <thonnart(at)amwdb(dot)u-strasbg(dot)fr> wrote:
>I am writing an application in C++ that uses a base PostgreSQL. Then I use
>libpq++ library. I work on a SUN station Solaris 7 64 bits and I use gcc
>2.95.2 to compile.

Are you sure the libpq++ library was compiled with that same compiler and
version? In general, mixing object code generated by different C++ compilers
(or versions) is asking for big trouble.

Also, 2.95.3 is available now, and its fixes compared to 2.95.2 include
things like
:* Fix numerous problems that caused incorrect optimization in the
: register reloading code.
:* Fix numerous problems that caused incorrect optimization in the loop
: optimizer.
which IMHO are sufficient reason to upgrade to that version ASAP.

>To optimise my code, I use that software of Rationnal : Purify
>
>When I compile with Purify options, I get (at execution) a core dump when I
>use libpq++ functions.

Some memory allocation debugging tools require that not just your
application, but also all the libraries it uses are compiled/linked in a
special way. I'm not sure Purify is among them, but it definitely cannot
hurt to rebuild PostgreSQL (including libpq++) with Purify and then try
again.

HTH,
Ray
--
Do Microsoft's TCO calculations include TC of downtime?