Re: Should this scare me?

From: "Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should this scare me?
Date: 2003-02-20 14:24:15
Lists: pgsql-general

It just happened for the first time yesterday... I will let you know if a pattern emerges... How would I trace it?

Ian Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
iharding(at)tpchd(dot)org
(253) 798-3549

"If any man can convince me and bring home to me that I do not think or act aright, gladly will I change; for I search after truth, by which man never yet was harmed. But he is harmed who abideth on still in his deception and ignorance"

-- Marcus Aurelius

"Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org> writes:
> psql in free(): warning: modified (chunk-) pointer.
> I am used to psql dumping core from time to time, although since upgrading to 7.3.1 it has not happened.
> Then this. Is it anything to fear?

It sure sounds like free() has detected something clobbering memory it
shouldn't --- at a guess, something overrunning a malloc'd buffer by a
few bytes. I'd recommend trying to trace the cause if you can. Is it
readily reproducible?

regards, tom lane