Hi,

From: "Brian Kitzberger" <KITZBERGERB(at)mail(dot)co(dot)stanislaus(dot)ca(dot)us>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Hi,
Date: 2006-03-22 21:59:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am a new user testing this open-source database and I have a few
questions. I was able to install PostgreSQL version 8.1.3 on Linux
version 9 using the simple install script provided. I created a simple
database and populated the database with some data. The inserts,
select, delete, drop, etc. commands work great. So I was testing the
back up process and ran into a few problems. When I ran the pg_dump it
said my pg_dump version was outdated and that I need to use the option
-i. When I did I get "pg_dump: server version: 8.1.3; pg_dump version:
7.4.8"

1 Why are the version different? I have no other installs of this
product.

The dump also failed with this error:

Error message from server: ERROR: column "datpath" does not exist
The commend was: SELECT (SELECT username FROM pg_user WHERE usesysid =
datdba) as dba, pg_encoding_to_char(encoding) as encoding, datpath FROM
pg_database WHERE datname = "test"

2 There is no reference to what "datpath" is? Can some one explain
what it is, used for, and what to set it to?

Brian

  • Re: Hi, at 2006-03-22 22:38:08 from Tom Lane