Re: The database system is in recovery mode

From: dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com (Mike Castle)
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The database system is in recovery mode
Date: 2003-05-08 01:26:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

In article <20030502141444(dot)GC13419(at)libertyrms(dot)info>,
Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> wrote:
>Neither, assuming you have good hardware and you're using fsync. WAL
>is there precisely to make the system crash safe. (Of course, if
>it's sitting on an ext2 partition and the system goes down hard, you
>have a different batch of problems. But WAL+fsync protects you from
>postmaster crashes, and machine crashes if your filesystem is
>crash-safe.)

You seem to be implying that ext2+fsync is not machine crash safe. Is this
really what you are trying to say?

If so, could you point to docs that verify that?

I could definitely see where ext2 without fsync would leave the system in
an strange state, but with fsync it should be fine.

mrc

--
Mike Castle dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/
We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan. -- Watchmen