[Pljava-dev] Windows binaries

From: johann at 2ndquadrant(dot)com (Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Windows binaries
Date: 2011-01-29 01:38:31
Lists: pljava-dev

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:51:34 -0000, Eric Kolotyluk
<eric.kolotyluk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Enterprise DB do not seem to have a binary release of 64-bit Postgres
> Plus for me to try.
>
> At the moment this is a bit of a showstopper for us as we need to be
> able to deploy on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

That is unfortunate. At the moment I do not envision having the time to
build Windows binaries until after February 11th. There are mainly two
things that stop me. First is the complete lack of the Windows operating
system license and installation media. The second is a computer/cpu with
virtualization support so I can run 64bit Windows in a virtual machine.

> Off hand neither me nor my colleagues have heard of a situation where a
> 32-bit DLL does not run on 64-bit windows, so we cannot imagine what is
> wrong with pljava.dll.

And neither can I. I have heard of incompatible libraries such as Python
2.7 components that refused to work together. As I understood the story
that had nothing to do with 32 vs. 64 bits and had to do with incompatible
compilers or compilation settings.

>> Who can I talk to about the reason pljava does not work on 64-bit
>> Windows? I have never come across 32-bit software that does not run on
>> 64-bit windows before. There must be something funny about how they
>> built the DLL.

In an ideal world that would be I. And I have no idea who to talk to at
Enterprise DB about this.

--
Johann Oskarsson http://www.2ndquadrant.com/ |[]
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services --+--

Blog: http://my.opera.com/myrkraverk/blog/