[Pljava-dev] Fwd: Re: Windows binaries

From: books at ejurka(dot)com (Kris Jurka)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Fwd: Re: Windows binaries
Date: 2011-01-29 02:02:03
Lists: pljava-dev

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Eric Kolotyluk wrote:

> In this particular case I was using 32-bit PostgreSQL on 64-bit Windows
> Ultimate - I could not get pljava.dll to load. According to Dependency
> Walker the DLL is trying to resolve all kinds of 64-bit DLLs which are not
> compatible with the 32-bit pljava.

Do you have a 32 or 64 bit java? You would need a 32bit java version to
run in the same process as 32bit postgresql and 32bit plajva.

> Enterprise DB do not seem to have a binary release of 64-bit Postgres Plus
> for me to try.

EnterpriseDB does offer 64 bit versions of 9.0 for windows of the base
postgresql release. I don't know what postgres plus offers above that or
if you need it or not.

http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#windows

A further complication is that building a 64bit version is only
supported using MSVC at the moment. Just this week Andrew Dunstan has
gotten a 64bit mingw(the build system that pljava supports) build running.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-01/msg02692.php

So to really get this all to work to run a 64 bit server, you'd have to
backpatch Andrew's patch to 9.0 and build a mingw server version and then
build pljava against that. You wouldn't necessarily need to deploy your
self-built server version, but you need it to build pljava.

> At the moment this is a bit of a showstopper for us as we need to be able to
> deploy on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

I would stick with trying to get the 32bit server version running on 64bit
windows.

Kris Jurka