Re: Microsoft access verses postgresql

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Microsoft access verses postgresql
Date: 2003-11-04 20:55:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net (Geoffrey) wrote:
> I've got a client who is following my suggestion that they replace a
> set of excel spreadsheets with a database solution. They are
> looking at two proposals, postgresql solution or an Access solution.
> The requirements will include vpn connectivity from one site to
> another. It appears they will be going with the Access solution.
> I've got concerns regarding this based on research I've done that
> seems to indicate that Access, when used in a multi-user solution is
> easily corrupted. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with
> such issues?

If the application will be lightly loaded, it may not be a big deal.
(After all, if the load is light enough, people might be able to do
the job by filling in 3"x5" index cards and filing them in a box.)

But if there are a bunch of users _actively_ updating the database,
Access gets unacceptable pretty quickly.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html