Case insensitive equality operator

From: Christophe Labouisse <labouiss(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Case insensitive equality operator
Date: 1999-01-07 22:25:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm looking for a case insensitive equality operator (something like
~~*). There are of course regular expression matches but I am
reluctent to use them because I need to preprocess my string before
using it (putting it between a ^ and a $, escaping special characters)
and because I'm afraid that the use of regular expressions will be
more resource demanding than a simple equality.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 149 bytes