Re: Why is it not using the other processor?

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Linh Luong <linh(dot)luong(at)computalog(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why is it not using the other processor?
Date: 2001-07-05 16:05:16
Lists: pgsql-general

> Linh Luong writes:
>
> > My postgres is running on a dual processor. But when I run a query and
> > look at TOP and notice only one processor is being used. And it is
> > being used 100% (assuming only 1 process is active). Why would it
> > allocate the work to the other processor.
>
> Ask your operating system provider. PostgreSQL just allocates processes,
> it doesn't decide on what CPU they'll run.

But thre answer to his question is that a single query will use at
most 1 CPU, since each backend is a single process. Multiple
simultaneous queries will of course use all available CPUs on a
properly-setup system.

-Doug
--
The rain man gave me two cures; he said jump right in,
The first was Texas medicine--the second was just railroad gin,