regression tests

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL HACKERS)
Subject: regression tests
Date: 1999-11-17 10:07:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I know that it's the new psql output format why all the
regression tests currently fail. But I think we are in this
state for a little too long now. With the latest CVS I got
this near the end of the suite after the plpgsql test:

NOTICE: trying to delete a reldesc that does not exist.
NOTICE: trying to delete a reldesc that does not exist.
Server process (pid 12207) exited with status 139 at Wed Nov 17 10:57:36 1999
Terminating any active server processes...
Server processes were terminated at Wed Nov 17 10:57:36 1999
Reinitializing shared memory and semaphores
DEBUG: Data Base System is starting up at Wed Nov 17 10:57:36 1999

This indicates that someone made changes that really broke
something and since he wasn't able to get any useful results
from a regression run, he just didn't do it.

I see a little problem with checking if the output is still
O.K. too. It seems that psql now buffers all the query
result messages until a SELECT is done. So if the regression
input contains only INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statements, all the

It's really a mess. How should someone check if a system
catalog change is O.K. in this situation? I intend to do so
soon!

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #