Re: [HACKERS] Re: PostgreSQL install

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Christopher Petrilli <petrilli(at)digicool(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: PostgreSQL install
Date: 1999-11-17 05:39:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu> writes:
>> Yeah, basically it looks like:
>> ./configure
>> make
>> make install
>> instaldb

> I seem to remember from your other post that you did get this last command
> right: initdb

Two other thoughts: (1) is initdb in your path, and is the *right
version* the first one in your path (I've been burnt by that on
upgrades). (2) I think that initdb requires USER, PGLIB, PGDATA
env variables to be set properly for reliable operation; also PATH
had better find the new version of postgres, psql, etc before any
older versions.

If that doesn't strike gold, a copy of the failing initdb session's
printout would be useful.