Re: [HACKERS] Arbitrary tuple size

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Arbitrary tuple size
Date: 1999-07-08 19:01:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Aren't index tuples still tuples? Can't they be split just like
> > regular tuples?
>
> Don't know, maybe.

Actually we have some problems with indices on text
attributes when the content exceeds HALF of the blocksize:

FATAL 1: btree: failed to add item to the page

It crashes the backend AND seems to corrupt the index! Looks
to me that at least the btree code needs to be able to store
at minimum two items into one block and painfully fails if it
can't.

And just another one:

pgsql=> create table t1 (a int4, b char(4000));
CREATE
pgsql=> create index t1_b on t1 (b);
CREATE
pgsql=> insert into t1 values (1, 'a');

TRAP: Failed Assertion("!(( itid)->lp_flags & 0x01):",
File: "nbtinsert.c", Line: 361)

Bruce: One more TODO item!

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #